While guests were seated and enjoying their three-course meal, our fathers and two childhood besties gave beautiful, funny and heartfelt speeches. I won’t transcribe any of the speeches, but have some great photos below.
All photos by Sarelle Photos.
|My dad’s speech was nearly 10 minutes but was pretty amazing|
|FIL’s speech was funny, very touching and full of good advice on marriage|
|BM M (my childhood BBF) had me laughing and crying. We’ve been friends since 7th grade.|
|GM Z (Mr. M’s childhood bestie) have been friends since 3rd grade. He was absolutely hilarious and very sweet.|
Now one thing to remember–no matter how perfectly planned a wedding is, some things will just not go according to schedule. At this point in the night, it was about 9:10pm–we wanted to get dinner and all the speeches out of the way before the dance floor was officially opened for business. My sister (MOH) and Mr. M’s brother (Best Man) were supposed to finish out dinner with their speeches and dancing was set to start at 9:30pm.
Well it turns out, because of the fun oldies (but goodies) DJ Yo-C played during dinner (I’m talking Jackson 5, Al Green, etc.), there were some people who kept springing out of their seats between dinner to get a few minutes of dancing in. It was so funny because it started off with Mr. M’s aunt and uncle. Then slowly but surely each new break, there would be 1 or 2 more couples on the dance floor.
What I remember was that Mr. M and I were making our rounds to the guest tables to say hello. Within 10 minutes, we turned around and all the people we had already said hi to were up on the dance floor. Then suddenly, the DJ turned the volume up and started playing “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk. That was all it took to get everyone else running to the dance floor (FYI this was back in May when the song first came out, before it got ruined by too much radio play).
I never mentioned this on the hive before but we got some party props for the reception including silver sequined gloves, black sunglasses and blue glow necklaces. The props were placed next to the photobooth (more on that later!) with a sign that said “Channel your inner Michael Jackson and dance like nobody’s watching”. All I remember is that someone handed gloves and sunglasses to me and Mr. M and from that point, it was a non-stop dance fest until 2am.
|Rockin’ our party props|
Because of that, our MOH and Best Man never got to give their speeches!! About 30 minutes into the dance party, our wedding planner comes up to us and is like “Hey guys, remember those last two speeches? Yeaahhh, so what do you want to do? We can have the DJ turn the music down and let them do their speeches or just skip them altogether”. We knew that we definitely had to consult with our siblings to see what they wanted to do–we would have hated for them to be upset about not giving their speeches, but at the same time we didn’t think it was a good idea to kill the buzz of the dance party.
We asked both siblings and it was so funny–because both of them are a bit more introverted, they were actually relieved that they didn’t have to give the speeches. They were both so nervous about it so kept insisting that they were totally fine with not giving them. My sister was like “Do you see this party going on?! I’ll just email you the speech tomorrow. Let’s go dance!!”
So it was that our guests started the dance party 20 minutes earlier than expected–and it was kind of amazing. My advice here–if the party starts all of a sudden, avoid interrupting it at all costs. Because once the party vibe is killed, it is VERY difficult to pick it up again. We wanted a raging party but what unfolded throughout the rest of the night was beyond our wildest party-loving dreams.
Next up, our guests drop it like it’s hot and tear it up on the dance floor!
Missed a recap? Catch up here;
- The anniversary dance and celebrating the grandparents’ 65 years of marriage!
- Mr. M and I share a moment and I cut a rug with my dad.
- We enter the reception to some bad-ass tunes.
- Our record album guestbooks wow the guests.
- Peacock theme done right.
- Officially husband and wife!
- We write vows that make everyone cry.
- Our officiant and readers say some lovely words during the ceremony.
- We walk down the aisle to beautiful music.
- Despite the rain, we get creative with bridal party shots.
- We have a fun first look session.
- We get all bridal-y and groom-y.
- I put on the most beautiful dress I’ll ever wear.
- The guys do guy-like things and get dressed.
- We jam out to seriously awesome tunes and get very pretty.
- The girls get gifts as we prep to get primped.
- How I became the most relaxed bride ever.
- With a potential crisis thankfully averted, I reveal my welcome dinner surprise to Mr. M.
- A scary and dramatic start to the welcome dinner.
- Feelin’ hella good with hella expensive champagne.
- Practice, practice, practice!